Sunday, May 18, 2008

Turning the page(s)


It's a perfectly hot Sunday morning. The only sounds in the house are coming from my new HD-DVD of Zodiac (more on that this week), and I am able to gaze upon the wonderful librarian-ish character my Chloe Sevigny plays in the movie (wearing a turtleneck, unfashionable glasses and a heart necklace to dinner with Jake Gyllenhall's Robert Graysmith .... ah, Chloe). Where was I? Oh, yeah librarians -- I hear they deal in books, as does the meme Thom Ryan and Bob Turnbull tagged me with. Regrettably, I rarely talk about books because I have pitifully little experience with them as the stinking black sheep of a family of paper lions (including one librarian). Here's the meme rules:

  1. Pick up the nearest book.
  2. Open to page 123.
  3. Locate the fifth sentence.
  4. Post the next three sentences on your blog and in so doing…
  5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you
The nearest book to me is actually a source of embarrassment (like most of the few books I own): I want to read No Country for Old Men, and I've liked the 14 pages I've read so far. There it is atop my DVD rack mocking me with the quiet hiss of a captive bolt pistol, and here's what it has to offer from page 123:
I know they's a lot of things in a family history that just plain aint so. Any family. The stories get passed on and the truth gets passed over.
I know I need to read this book, and I even set out to spend a flight to Portland doing just that, but I ended up trying to listen to the boring conversation behind me. Someday I'll finish it, and I might even write a few words about it.

I've tagged the following:

Any blogger who has more than one flavor of ice cream in their freezer (Neopolitan counts as one flavor).

2 comments:

JOSEPH CAMPANELLA said...

The paperback is very interesting but I find it will never replace the hardcover book - it makes a very poor doorstop.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Unknown said...

From Asia Shock by Patrick Galloway:

Others, like Mimura (Takashi Tsukamoto) and his gang decide to rebel, use technology, make bombs, hack computers, and take down the system.