Friday, July 25, 2008

Once, twice, twelve times a New Beverly


Piper has quite a meme incubation program over at Lazy Eye Theatre, and his new one just hatched. Of course, now it's gonna multiply like tribbles with a premise like this:

1) Choose 12 Films to be featured. They could be random selections or part of a greater theme. Whatever you want.

2) Explain why you chose the films.

3) Link back to Lazy Eye Theatre so I can have hundreds of links and I can take those links and spread them all out on the bed and then roll around in them.

4) The people selected then have to turn around and select 5 more people.

My double bill picks are all related somehow, and I've provided links to past posts of mine about the movies. Note: only a theater like the one pictured would allow me to choose their programming.

Monday
The Terror/Targets
(as I say in the linked post, The Terror plays a big role in Targets, and seeing it beforehand will only add to the enjoyment of the second movie).

Tuesday
Point Blank/Beetlejuice
(Both movies deal with the supernatural and the physical overlapping. Chris Stangl has an excellent essay on these themes in Beetlejuice).

Wednesday
Bicycle Thieves/Legend of Billie Jean
(A two-wheeled means of transport is stolen, no justice to be found. What can be done? Lamberto Maggiorani and Helen Slater have a few ideas).

Thursday
Night of the Hunter/Halloween
(The first directly influenced the latter, by being one of the first modern slasher movies. The visuals of Jack and Pearl barely escaping Rev. Powell would be repeated again and again in the 70s and 80s).

Friday
The Burbs/Rio Bravo
(I've said a couple times that these two would make good companions, they complement each other nicely).

Saturday
Petulia/Superman III
(As suggested by Mr. Peel).

OK, now I'm calling ya'll out:

The afrorementioned Mr. Peel
Becca at No Smoking in the Skull Cave
Damian at Windmills of My Mind
James at his Mad Grasp for Relevancy
Jonathan "Smooth as Vermont Maple Syrup" Lapper at Cinema Styles

4 comments:

PIPER said...

Adam you son of a.

I tagged Lapper. Is this some kind of gay meme fight now? That means 24 movies for Lapper.

I love that you love the burbs as much as you do.

And how cool is Bicycle Thieves and Legend of Billie Jean?

I thought of a Assault On Precinct 13/ Rio Bravo night myself. I like your mix better.

And I also thought of a Hitchcock/DePalma night which would just make for a good festival. I'm sure it has been done before.

Adam Ross said...

Arrrgh, I thought you meant the other Jonathan Lapper. You know, the one with the hat?

Hitchcock/DePalma would be very cool. I'm a big fan of "Obsession," and it would obviously be paired with "Vertigo." I don't think DePalma has to make any apologies for paying tribute to Hitchcock, and "Obsession" even builds on some of his conventions.

elgringo said...

The Castro Theatre is playing a triple feature consisting of Beetlejuice, Return to Oz, and Meet the Feebles.

I'm glad to see Beetlejuice made your 12, that movie's insanely cool.

Mr. Peel aka Peter Avellino said...

Looks like I've got some thinking to do. Give me a few days.